Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday

After a long break, I'm back with a Thankful Thursday.  

I have thought a lot lately about my grandparents.  My grandmother passed away a year ago and my grandpa has spent a very lonely year without her.  I am so thankful for him and his example of love and endurance.  My grandpa loves my grandma unconditionally and to him, she is the world.  I so admire his adoration of her and for who she was.  My grandparents met at the age of 14 and 15, married a few years later and spent 70 years of marriage together.  Thinking of my own teenage children and trying to look down the road 70 years, I marvel at the thought of having a best friend for that amount of time.  My grandparents did everything together, raised their four children, worked a business, traveled the world (quite literally), gardened, cheered on the Jazz, and so many other things.  I miss my Grandma and think of her often.  She was a great lady who was complete class.  She was fun and proud and lovely right to the end of her life here.  I think Grandpa Jay is a wonderful and amazing man and I am truly thankful for him and his example.  I hope that we will think of the elderly people in our lives more often and take the lessons that they have to teach us to heart.

2 comments:

Rita said...

Thank you Heather for your sweet thoughts. This has been a very challenging year for all of us who loved Mom (Grandma) so much. We truly miss her. Our hearts go out to Grandpa.
"As young children
we can't comprehend
or fully realize
the meaning of our parents love
how tender and how wise
The patience and forgivenes
that are a part of every day
The unexpected little things
they do in their own way.
Years go by before we can
look back on life and see
Through older eyes and wiser hearts
their love and loyalty,
And yet it's these and other things
we'll hold so very dear
For memories of steadfast love
will keep them ever near.

DeHart Family said...

What a great pic...